Saturday, March 14, 2009

A new journey

I am on a journey, and I am realizing that journey is both exhausting and exhilerating. I spent nearly a decade teaching high school students in a suburban district in Columbus, Ohio. Parents used to come to me with concerns when their children were not performing up to their potential. I decided to do some research and create a suggested reading list for parents, but I found very little for the list. Most of the books helped teachers design lessons for the struggling student or taught them how to work with literacy issues in classrooms. For parents, most of the books dealt with the angst of the teenage years and how to navigate the adolscent years. I realized I would need to write the book parents could use, so I did. No Parent Left Behind: a handbook for parents of struggling students appeared in print in spring 2007. Almost immediately, schools started contacting me to come and speak to their staff about how to involve parents. One school even bought a copy for each freshman parent.

After I wrote my book, I knew I needed to leave the classroom to promote it. I could not miss school days to facilitate presentations and professional development, or the students would suffer. The position as a community relations coordinator at a local career center opened and offered a flexible schedule and the ability to meet and network with people in the educational community. When I began there, I planned to do a lot of community events and networking, which I did my first year.

I am very passionate about the fact that education is the responsibility of an entire community, and that doesn't just mean financial responsibility. The number one predictor of student success is parental involvement. I take that a step further. A school that truly prepares our students for the future should have businesses, as well as parents and social services, involved in a hands on way. The school should be the community center where students can learn much more than just academics: they should learn what success means TO THEM and learn about themselves, their responsibility to their society and the education they need to reach their goals. The mission of every school should be "To foster passion." Connecting students with local opportunities in business should offer a good return on investment for the businesses as they attempt to develop their workforce and groom tomorrow's leaders.

My job at the career center changed from networking to marketing. I am no longer in the community creating those types of connections for our students. I am now engaged in marketing, web site design, and screening for advertising opportunities and professional photographers and designers. Although I am sure I could learn to be really great at coordinating all those tasks, my daily tasks are no longer connected enough to education to satisfy me. So..I will move on.

I am a firm believer that life throws opportunities my way and I just have to make sure to keep my eyes open so I can take advantage of them. My new journey back to school as a doctoral student at The Ohio State University's will be an adventure in a variety of ways. I expect to be challenged academically, financially and philosophically as I navigate the coursework and begin thinking of my research interests for the future.

I plan to use this blog to share educational research I encounter during my doctoral coursework. I also plan to use it to help people see what life is like as a doc student. I hope current educators and administrators I have worked with will follow this blog to see what new perspectives I can bring to their schools. I also hope to offer a place where educators, parents, administrators, and business people can discuss issues about education and parenting students. The contribution readers of this blog can make will greatly help me shape my research interests and future workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment